Nowadays, Self Examination for breast cancer can be an important method for women.
Adult women of all ages are usually urged to do a self-breast exam at least once every month.
However, quite a number of women do not know how to go about this process.
Here are steps To Help You Do An Effective Self Examination for breast cancer as a woman
1. Start by glancing at your breasts in the mirror with your shoulders straight and your arms on your hips.
Make sure you check that your breasts are their normal size, shape, and color without any noticeable distortion or swelling.
2. While still standing in front of the mirror, raise up your arms and look for the same changes from step one above.
3. Look for any sign of fluid getting out of one or both n!pples. This could be a watery, milky or yellow fluid, or blood.
4. Next, move away from the mirror and lie down flat.
Put a pillow under your right shoulder, then also place your right arm behind your head.
5. Now with your left hand, move your fingers around your right breast and then gently cover the entire breast area and armpit.
Be sure to feel all the tissue from the front to the back of your breasts, until you are able to feel down to your ribcage. Alternate between light, medium, and firm pressure.
6. While Still laying down, squeeze the n!pple to check for discharge and lumps.
7. You can carry out the same steps (from 1 – 6) for your left breast.
8. Finally, make sure you feel your breasts while standing or sitting.
Many women usually discover that the best and easiest way to feel their breasts is when their skin is wet and slippery, so most time they prefer to do this step in the shower.
We hope following the above steps of a self-breast exam will help you detect early signs of breast cancer.
Please make sure to see a doctor if you observe anything strange.