Home Editorial pick School Resumption Update: See What Happened As SSANU, NASU Begin Protests Today

School Resumption Update: See What Happened As SSANU, NASU Begin Protests Today

The Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU) and Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) have started their 3-day protest today.

 

The Non-academic staff Union said that they are protesting because of the sharing formula of the 40 billion earned allowance fund that Federal Government Promise to pay them and ASUU together.

ASUU has collected 75 per cent of the fund and their share is just 25 per cent from it.

The Joint Action Committee (JAC) of the two unions also revealed that the protest is as a result of the sharing formula of N40 billion earned allowances that Federal Government had endorsed and the non-implementation of the agreement that they entered with Government in 2009.

The protest comes about three weeks after ASUU called off its 9-month-old strike based on the same agreement in December 2020.

Also, the protest movement is coming barely one day after the Nigeria Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu said the government will review the January 18th (School resumption date) in a bid to know whether to postpone it or not.

SSANU members Protesting in Kogi

Information gathered revealed that it’s just 3-day protest which starts Today to Thursday 14, January 2021 and will also happen in each branch.

The minister of Education said Federal Government decision on School resumption was for a sake of the rising COVID-19 cases in the country.

The problem here is that all the hope that University Students have after the nine months strike by ASUU may be taken another shape because of the new development by Federal Government.

What are the demands of NASU and SSANU?

On 20th October 2020, the Non-Academic Staff (NASU) signed Memorandum of Understanding with the Federal Government and the demands that they talked on were:

• Inconsistency on top IPPIS payment

• Non -payment of Earned Allowances

• Non -payment of areas of minimum wage

• Delay to renegotiate FGN/NASU and SSANU 2009 agreement

• Non -payment of retirement benefit for outgone members

• Poor funding of state universities

• Non-constitution of the visitation panel

The union said since this agreement, Federal Government has failed to fulfil any of the demands above.

What we learnt was that during the ASUU strike, Federal Government promised to pay the N40bn earned allowance to all the Unions but at the moment, nothing has been received.

However, during their meeting, ASUU negotiated to collect the biggest share which is about 75% of the money and the other Unions will take the remaining which is 25%.

So when the other unions got to know about the decision, they were not happy and vowed that they won’t accept the offer unless the Government increases their money too.

The Unions also claimed that the process that made ASUU come up with the sharing formula is not scientific.

 

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

LAST NEWS

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x